Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The girl with the pearl earrings



        The Girl with A Pearl Earring was created by Johannes Vermeer in 1664. Looking at the painting, my eyes are quickly drawn to her face. Her eyes are what keeps me deeply interested. “What is she looking at or what is she thinking about?” are questions that I ask myself as I observe. With the backgrounded being completely black, the girl stands out more making her the center of attention. His use of color is very intense and they complement one another. His main color schemes are blue, gold and white. The girl’s turban is a deep royal blue with hints of gold. As the bottom of the turban touches her shirt the hint of blue still complements her top nicely. For her face he used a nice blush shade on her lips that suits her complexion nicely. Her eyebrows aren't well defined but it does not take away from the beauty that she already displays. There is also a drastic change in light and dark as it is apparent in her face. Towards the left side of her face darkness is shown and it is drawn all the way down to the middle of her back. In the midst of the darkness a shiny pearl earring hangs from her ear. You can see light reflecting off of it at the very top of the pearl.

Overall I think the picture is well done because it keeps you wondering. When I look  at it I see a young lady who just looks unsure. She doesn't seem happy nor sad. She just looks like someone who is looking over their shoulder giving off a simple facial expression. I also wonder, since she doesn't have a lot of money, who gifted her with the pearl earrings. Was it a gift from a boyfriend, her father or a family member? Or did she save up money to buy it for herself? 

No comments:

Post a Comment