Being an introvert herself, Susan Cain spoke about growing up being an introvert and the power of introverts. An introvert is a shy person. A person mainly concerned with their own thoughts and feelings rather than with external things. Although the definition says “shy”, Cain said it is different from being shy. She went on to say that “shyness is about fear of social judgment. Introversion is more about, how do you respond to stimulation, including social stimulation.” She discussed events in her life. An example being the time she went away for camp. It was different from what she was accustomed too. She and her family were use to reading books and being in silence, but being away at camp grants you the opportunity to be more involved and engage into group activities. She also said that introverts prefers working by themselves and that’s just how they are. According to research introverts tends to be smarter and receives better grades compared to extroverts.
While watching this video I was thinking to myself “am I an introvert or an extrovert ?” Right away I knew that I was not an introvert nor an extrovert. I find that I share similar qualities in both. I know that there are times when I do not feel like being bothered and I just want to be left alone but there are other occasions when I love being social, loud and just being involved with any and everything. When I show different mood swings to my sister she claims that I am bipolar but now I know why. So when Cain said ambiverts have the best of both worlds I strongly agreed. I was so interested in finding out what I was that I did my research and even took an online test and I also found “10 Things to Indicate That You Are An Ambivert.” I found it to be interesting because this was my first time learning about introverts, ambiverts and extroverts. Regardless of how you are categorized we should all be able to be free to be who we are without being frowned upon or forced to be someone or something that we are not just to please society and the people around us.
No comments:
Post a Comment