The Iliad XVI
“Helen of Troy, the face that launched 1000 ships” was a quote that I always found interest in once I heard it on a popular television series, Scandal. Although I never read about it up until now, based on the story line in Scandal, it was kind of obvious what the famous quote symbolized.
The Iliad XVI begins with Patroclus crying and Achilles making fun of him as a result of how he is feeling. Patroclus explains to Achilles that he is crying because “ All those who have been their champions so far are lying at the ships, wounded by sword or spear.” He goes into depth defending himself and proposes an idea, “Let me moreover wear your armor; the Trojans may thus mistake me for you and quit the field, so that the hard-pressed sons of the Achaeans may have breathing time- which while they are fighting may hardly be.” Achilles agreed with Patroclus but on one condition and that was for Patroclus to only drive the Trojans off the ship. Achilles did not want Patroclus to go any further because he feared that Patroclus would make a fool out of him. In the midst of their conversation, they are watching Ajax slowly being overpowered by the Trojans. He had no more energy left inside of him to defend the ship and as he recanted, the Trojans burned the ship down. As the fire was burning down the ships, Achilles urged Patroclus to get moving. Patroclus then got armed , putting on everything except for the spear of noble Achilles because “ for non other of the Achaeans could wield it, though Achilles could do so easily. While Patroclus was getting ready, Achilles went about everywhere amongst the tents getting the Myrmidons in order for war. “Even as fierce ravening wolves that are feasting upon homed stag upon a homed stag which they have killed upon the mountains…”, this quotes explains how the Myrmidons were behaving as they were ready to embark this journey to war. Without getting too in-depth, I’ll stop here.
For me to truly understand what was happening in this story, I had to take my time and process what was happing through out the entire reading. However I found it interesting how Patroclus wanted to lead the men to war and not Achilles. I also respected Ajax for surrendering and knowing when to stop when he did.
No comments:
Post a Comment